Some of Melissa's first settlers came from the old Highlands community, two and a half miles north of present-day Melissa. C.H. Wysong was one of the earliest settlers. A post office was established in 1853. The Houston and Texas Central Railroad was built in Melissa in 1872. The town was laid out at this time. The railroad encouraged many families to come to Melissa. The town is believed to have been named for the daughter of a railroad executive, George A. Quinlan (1838–1901) of the Houston and Texas Central Railroad. There is some disagreement about this, as others argue that the town was named after Melissa Huntington, daughter of C. P. Huntington, another well-known railroad executive. Anna, Texas, is named after Anna Elizabeth Quinlan (1878–1952), the only daughter of George Austin Quinlan and his wife Mary Kate Saunders (1851–1884). Quinlan, Texas, is named after George Austin Quinlan himself.
The first school in Melissa was built on land purchased in 1882 by trustees James Graves, John Gibson, and George Fitzhugh, who were early settlers of the area. The first teacher was Mary Huckerston, who taught there for five years. The school began with 38 pupils. Church services were held there for all faiths on Sundays. A two-story brick schoolhouse was built on this site in 1910 to accommodate growth brought by the railroad.
Melissa was an important shipping point in the early 1900s. Corn, wheat, alfalfa hay, wood, and livestock were all sent out on the railroad.
A deadly tornado struck Melissa on April 13, 1921, killing 13 people and injuring many more. The tornado tore the roof off of the brick school building, but the children inside were not seriously injured. However, all churches in the town, three cotton gins, every business house except a bank, the post office, and the Houston and Texas Central railway station, were wrecked. The Waldon Hotel was lifted by the winds, turned halfway around, and thrown up against the school building.
Eight years later, on August 8, 1929, a fire burned down many of the buildings that had been rebuilt after the tornado. Population declined from a high of 500 in 1925 down to 285 in 1949.
- Type: Purchase + 1 more
- Status: For Sale + 2 more
- Save Search
For Rent|2,960 sqft|4 beds|3.5 baths|0.21 acres|#20173883
For Rent|4,142 sqft|4 beds|3.5 baths|1.966 acres|#20171525
For Rent|1,872 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.2 acres|#20171517
For Sale|2,970 sqft|4 beds|4 baths|1.654 acres|#20170646
For Sale|1,935 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.179 acres|#20169182
For Sale|2,040 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.144 acres|#20169982
For Sale|2,663 sqft|4 beds|2.5 baths|0.43 acres|#20170825
For Sale|2,980 sqft|4 beds|4.5 baths|0.25 acres|#20170705
For Sale|2,863 sqft|4 beds|3 baths|0.14 acres|#20170683
For Sale|2,306 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.245 acres|#20167460
For Sale|2,780 sqft|4 beds|3 baths|0.14 acres|#20170660
For Sale|1,667 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.143 acres|#20164987
For Sale|2,305 sqft|3 beds|2.5 baths|0.14 acres|#20170222
For Sale|2,103 sqft|3 beds|2.5 baths|0.14 acres|#20170051
For Rent|2,540 sqft|4 beds|3 baths|0.12 acres|#20169826
For Sale|3,034 sqft|4 beds|2.5 baths|0.205 acres|#20167527
For Sale|4,142 sqft|4 beds|3.5 baths|1.966 acres|#20168764
For Sale|2,847 sqft|4 beds|2.5 baths|0.14 acres|#20168723
For Sale|2,154 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.16 acres|#20168059
Accepting Backup Offers|1,928 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.165 acres|#20161469
For Sale|1,918 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.22 acres|#20165052
For Sale|3,411 sqft|4 beds|3.5 baths|0.183 acres|#20163383
For Sale|2,184 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.14 acres|#20161938
For Sale|2,213 sqft|4 beds|3 baths|0.16 acres|#20164039
For Rent|2,903 sqft|4 beds|3 baths|0.18 acres|#20162812
For Sale|3,100 sqft|4 beds|3.5 baths|0.15 acres|#20161436
For Sale|2,985 sqft|4 beds|3 baths|0.25 acres|#20162154
For Sale|3,222 sqft|5 beds|5.5 baths|0.25 acres|#20162122