The city of Grand Prairie was first established as Dechman by Alexander McRae Dechman in 1863. Prior to then, he resided in Young County near Fort Belknap. The 1860 U.S. Federal Census - Slave Schedules shows an A McR Dechman as having 4 slaves, ages 50, 25, 37 and 10. Dechman, learned that he could trade his oxen and wagons for land in Dallas County. In 1863, Dechman bought 239.5 acres (96.9 ha) of land on the eastern side of the Trinity River and 100 acres (40 ha) of timber land on the west side of the river for a broken-down wagon, oxen team and US$200 in Confederate money. He tried to establish a home on the property, but ran into difficulties, so he returned to his family in Birdville before joining in the Civil War. In 1867 he filed a town plat consisting of 50 acres (20 ha) with Dallas County.
After the war, he returned to Birdville for two years before selling that farm in 1867 and moving to Houston, where yellow fever broke out, causing the family to settle in Bryan. In 1876, Dechman traded half his "prairie" property to the T&P Railroad to ensure the railroad came through the town. The railroad named the depot "Dechman", prompting its namesake to relocate his home from Bryan to Dechman. His son Alexander had been living in Dechman and operating a trading post and farm. The first church in the area was the Good Hope Cumberland Sabbath School, established in 1870 by Rev. Andrew Hayter. The church was later renamed West Fork United Presbyterian Church and remains an active church.
The first U.S. post office opened in 1877 under the name "Deckman" rather than "Dechman", because the U.S. Postal Service couldn't read the writing on the form completed to open the post office. Later that same year, after the Postal Service had adopted the "Deckman" name, confusion resulted from the T&P Railroad designation "Grand Prairie". This name was based on maps drawn from around 1850 through 1858 that labeled the area between Dallas and Fort Worth "the grand prairie of Texas". In order to alleviate the confusion, the Postal Service named the post office "Grand Prairie".
The town of Grand Prairie was eventually incorporated as a city in 1909. During World War I and since, Grand Prairie has had a long history with the defense and aviation industry. While the present-day Vought plant on Jefferson Avenue is part of a small strip within the Dallas city limits, it was originally in Grand Prairie. During World War II the North American Aviation Plant B produced the Consolidated B-24 Liberator and the P-51C and K Mustang variants. After the war, Vought Aircraft took over the plant. This later became Ling Temco Vought (LTV) and then eventually returned to the Vought moniker. The plant was the production site for the F-8 Crusader and the A-7 Corsair II aircraft of the 1950–1989 time period. The LTV Missile and Space division produced missiles such as the Scout and MLRS. This division was eventually sold to Lockheed Martin, which continues to operate in Grand Prairie. Grand Prairie was also the North American headquarters for Aérospatiale Helicopter. This company eventually became Airbus Helicopters, Inc., the U.S. subsidiary of Airbus Helicopters.
In 1953, the mayor and city council of Grand Prairie attempted to annex nearly 70 square miles (180 km2) of then-unincorporated and largely undeveloped land in southern Dallas and Tarrant counties. Vehement debate ensued, and the legal pressure from cities like Arlington, Duncanville and Irving wound up overturning part of the annexation attempt.
- Type: Purchase + 1 more
- Status: For Sale + 2 more
- Save Search
For Rent|1,710 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.202 acres|#20173911
For Sale|2,146 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.181 acres|#20172186
For Sale|1,175 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.289 acres|#20173674
For Rent|2,867 sqft|4 beds|2.5 baths|0.152 acres|#20173673
For Sale|2,359 sqft|4 beds|3.5 baths|0.179 acres|#20166435
For Rent|2,033 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.158 acres|#20162299
For Sale|2,339 sqft|3 beds|2.5 baths|0.031 acres|#20171688
For Rent|1,445 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.176 acres|#20172354
For Rent|1,597 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.115 acres|#20172043
For Sale|2,884 sqft|4 beds|2.5 baths|0.2357 acres|#20171909
Pending|2,499 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.192 acres|#20171901
For Sale|1,258 sqft|3 beds|1 bath|0.157 acres|#20169549
For Sale|2,007 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.248 acres|#20164921
For Rent|1,120 sqft|2 beds|2 baths|0.076 acres|#20170772
For Rent|1,162 sqft|2 beds|2 baths|0.0491 acres|#20171669
Accepting Backup Offers|1,916 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.128 acres|#20171298
For Sale|3,896 sqft|5 beds|3 baths|0.165 acres|#20171522
For Sale|1,744 sqft|4 beds|2.5 baths|0.17 acres|#20171129
For Sale|2,498 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.176 acres|#20171254
For Sale|2,185 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.172 acres|#20166986
For Sale|3,613 sqft|5 beds|3.5 baths|0.177 acres|#20165230
For Sale|2,503 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.361 acres|#20166396
For Rent|1,265 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.172 acres|#20160015
Accepting Backup Offers|1,634 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.21 acres|#20170463
For Sale|3,121 sqft|4 beds|2.5 baths|0.155 acres|#20169678
For Rent|1,674 sqft|3 beds|2.5 baths|0.073 acres|#20166945
For Sale|2,200 sqft|3 beds|3.5 baths|0.221 acres|#20170688
Accepting Backup Offers|1,400 sqft|2 beds|2.5 baths|0.042 acres|#20170638
For Sale|1,120 sqft|2 beds|2 baths|0.188 acres|#20169947
For Sale|1,770 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.194 acres|#20162490
For Rent|2,891 sqft|4 beds|2.5 baths|0.165 acres|#20170630
For Sale|1,957 sqft|3 beds|2.5 baths|0.092 acres|#20170622